Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ugh

When do two dimes cost you $27?  When you're ringing the bell for the Salvation Army and a woman drops two dimes and you squat down to pick them up to put them in the kettle and break the zipper in your coat.  Not a pleasant experience any time but especially when you're out in the public and it's 16ºF and the wind is blowing and it's snowing.  Ugh.  I managed to hold my gaiter in front of me to block the unsightly disaster.  I must have looked homeless!  I saw one of my former co-workers while I was ringing.  It's always nice to see someone I know while standing out there -- makes the time go by faster.

I dropped my coat off at Express Alterations and can pick up the coat on Friday.  She has to replace the zipper since I broke the stop completely off -- I saw the stop glistening on the sidewalk near the kettle stand at the store.  Cost for replacing the zipper -- $27.  Ugh.

2 comments:

janet said...

I know, having a zipper replaced is expensive! I had my son's replaced last winter on his favorite coat for $35. I sew, but a coat zipper is not in my league.

That is really nice of you to stand out there and be a bell ringer!

Suzanne said...

Aside from the cold weather, it's a great opportunity to help. I can't donate the $$$ but I can help raise some! This is my fourth year and I expect to continue doing this every year.