Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Customer is Always Right

Today a customer who bought two felted bowls from me last Saturday called to say I had the 'M', as in University of Michigan 'M', upside down on his hat.  I might have agreed with him except for the fact that what he had actually purchased was a felted bowl, and the needle felted 'M' was most certainly applied correctly.  His retort was that he purchased hats, not bowls, since my able assistant Tanya had told him so.  Well, as usual, I had made a bee-line to the bathroom and missed the whole episode.  In true customer service fashion, I will pick up the hat tomorrow and turn the 'M' around for him.

This was just one of my obstacles today.  First thing after I got to work a long time co-worker stopped by desk, nearly panicked thinking he would miss my last day there.  Before long I dissolved into tears, he apologized, and we chatted while I wiped away the tears.  'What are you going to do?' he asked.  That's all it took for me to start  crying, yet again.  And my tears continued long after he left my desk.  I've known this guy for nearly 20 years so yes, it will be hard to say goodbye.  Part of me wants to just slink out of there and part of me wants to be sure to say goodbye to everyone I've had the pleasure of working with over the past 26 years.  That is such a long time, isn't it?  My contacts were so mucked up with tears that I could barely see the rest of the day.  Only 5 days left, it will get harder each day.  Today I showed one of my co-workers how to do one of my jobs.  That was fun.

7 comments:

janet said...

You are in my thoughts. I went through something similar two years ago, it was hard saying goodbye after 10+ years, so my heart goes out to you. Things WILL get better.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,

I am so sorry, this time has to be so terribly hard. Know that you are well loved and in all of our thoughts.

Kim W

Suzanne said...

Thank you ladies. I think the holiday time always makes this sort of thing worse. Plus today would have been my Dad's 86th birthday.

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Suzanne--I will be thinking about you so much in the days and weeks ahead.
I also want to let you know that I received your e-mail with the 'door to door organics' code. Thanks so much!! Unfortunately, they won't let me use it for their sister site, Suburban Organics...
so please pass it on to another of your readers. (I did join anyway, since I'm always so jealous of your gorgeous boxes!!)
Thanks again-XXO-

Suzanne said...

Sorry it didn't work for you Heather. I thought it would, but glad you hooked up with them!

Tanya said...

hey--I NEVER said they were hats!

Suzanne said...

I figured that. He must have been a UofM grad......ouch!