Tuesday, August 3, 2010

One Down...

....one to go.  Today was an election primary.

I'm so glad it's over.  I've been bombarded with post card flyers, anonymous phone calls telling me who to vote for and even worse, who NOT to vote for.  I've been inundated with surveys and voicemail messages where the message begins halfway into their spiel.  Saturday I was talking to one candidate on the phone -- I know, the actual candidate called me!-- and I said I would vote for him for State Representative and then I started going on about the public transportation millage that would help the bus system I use.  Then all of a sudden the call went dead -- it was the damn AT&T problem I was having before it was repaired on Sunday.  Nuts, here I had a captive audience and he probably though I hung up on him.

Voting is a right that many people fought for, long before I was ever born.  It's a shame that so few eligible voters turn out for elections.  There was speculation that less than 25% of registered voters would actually take the time to have their voice count today.  That's sad.
And sometime around the beginning of October, the flyers, phone calls, and surveys will start back up again for the actual election in November.  I can hardly wait.  I wish all of the candidates could be civil, truthful, and kind but I've come to realize that just isn't possible.  Negativity turns off so many people -- maybe that's why so many people don't bother to vote??

2 comments:

Renee said...

Amen, Sister!

SusanQuilter said...

I think we were all barraged by literature & phone calls, which I thought was unusual for a primary election that was not even presidential. We actually met THREE candidates at our door during the campaign!! Glad it's over too & not looking forward to October when they will ramp it up once again!