Monday, April 27, 2009

Adieu Marge

Tonight I justified not going to the gym by mowing the lawn instead. Yes, I did sweat, and yes, I did work hard. The lawn is now manicured although I was not able to put the weed/dandelion preventer down due to impending rain, which is expected tonight and tomorrow.

I think, though, I was just plain whipped again. My coworker Seamus lost his mother over the weekend and even though she had been hospitalized recently, at age 73, this was unexpected. I met his mother once at his house warming party a few years ago. I remember thinking "this is a woman who does as she pleases without worrying what other people think." She was wearing a wild leopard print blazer with gold lame pants, and a big 'ol hat. She and her husband were the first white couple in Michigan to adopt a black child. Marge was a true Irish gal with flaming red hair and the spirit to go with it.

Maybe we all should try to incorporate a bit of Marge in us -- doing what's right without any thought to what others might think, putting a bit of zaniness into every day and having fun, no matter what life throws our way.

1 comment:

SusanQuilter said...

Amen! A toast to Seamus' mother! May she reach heaven before the devil knows she's dead! Hear hear...