Thursday, April 9, 2009

Forgetful Jones

Back in the day, my kids were pretty ardent Sesame Street fans. One of the characters we liked best was Forgetful Jones, partly because our last name is Jones, and partly because we always had so much going on that we were prone to forgetting something.

I have the worst time remembering to grab my cell phone off of the charger. Now, I'm not one of those people who relies on their cell phone. No sirree, instead I tend to use it for emergencies and it bugs the crap out of Kevin. So today I neglected to nab the phone before I headed out the door to work and then I again forgot to get it before heading out to my quilt guild meeting. Big mistake.

Apparently all hell broke loose tonight at the 'home' and Kevin wound up going out there to help my Mom move my Dad back to their apartment. I got home too late to call them so I don't know what precipitated this outburst. Kevin said there was an anxiety attack involved, late dispensing of his Ativan, and probably a lot to do with my Mom coming and going all the time. One of the workers actually suggested to Kevin that instead of telling him we were leaving, we should just say we're going for a drink of water and not come back. I can't imagine that working. He's not so unaware as to not notice when someone does not return in a matter of minutes. That's a stupid suggestion. Perhaps that works for the people who longer remember how to tie their shoes or feed themselves but that is NOT my Dad.

Back to my other life....Guild was fun tonight as our speaker, Ami Simms, is quite humorous. Part of her lecture involved her pet project to raise money for Alzheimer's research. This was touching a bit too close to home for me tonight, even though Dad 'only' has dementia. Ami is doing great work for this cause and has helped raise over $280,000 so far. Be sure to check out her website, The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, to see the current array of auction quilts available for you to bid on this month. The money raised could someday help someone you love.

No comments: