Monday, April 26, 2010

Wool Coat #3

Sometimes it's the simplest things that work the best.  I struggled with the lapel decoration for my latest coat to be needle felted.  Originally, you might recall, I wanted to do some snazzy Japanese words, except I don't know any Japanese words and could easily botch anything I attempted.

I ran my dilemma past several knitting friends, coworkers, even Kevin.  In the end, I came up with the result via what else, the internet.  After ruling out a pagoda, Kyoto, fans, Koi, and sushi, I decided on ~~

Yes, In-Yo.  I know what you're thinking.  Idiot, that's Yin Yang.  But alas my friend, in Japanese it is referred to as In-Yo.  Again, that's what the internet is good for. 
Here's a larger shot of the front of the coat ~~

I think the lapel decoration is just enough given the velveteen collar.  The Japanese part is important because of the design on the back of the coat.
If you said 'those are ginkgo leaves' you are correct!  Here's a close up of the work~~

Now here's where the tricky part comes into play......both the design on the front and the back could be either Japanese or Chinese.  So I guess it's the buyer's preference when they tell others about their coat.  I had it in my mind that it was Japanese themed but that's just me.  Either way, I think it's a snappy coat and I'm glad it's done.  It sure is a heavy one.

2 comments:

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Suzanne--This one came out so well!! I LOVE it!!

harriet said...

Looks great!