Friday, April 2, 2010

Ready for the Weekend

I made it through the week.  I've started taking the bus again and making it to the bus stop every day by 6:18 AM has been, well, invigorating.  We've had a super weather warm up and as usual our office building has been slow to switch over to air conditioning.  Yesterday it was 84º on my desk thermometer.  Yes, I was sweating, even in my short-sleeved shirt.  I couldn't wait to get off the bus and get in my door and whip off my shoes and socks.  It's amazing how removing them immediately reduces my body temperature.  Phew!

Today was the last day for a co-worker on my team.  She posted for a position on another team and was selected.  We told her to set a good example and remember us when the time comes for us to move on.  We ordered Chinese take-out and had a really enjoyable luncheon.  Unfortunately, I was so eager to head out of the office on this holiday weekend, that I forgot my leftovers in the fridge.  Pooh.

I got off the bus early today and headed for the Salvation Army store in Royal Oak to look for more wool coats.  I had to dodge some guy with a TV camera, ducking behind clothes on the rack.  I wasn't interested in being on TV.  I did find one more coat, this time a nice London Fog black full length wool version.  I walked the rest of the way home with this heavy coat in a plastic bag that was stretching beyond it's capacity.  Once home I hopped in the car and went to two more S/A stores but no luck.  Lots of coats with damaged linings.  Not sure what women do in their coats to cause so much destruction.

I finished knitting my Mauch Chunky Wool hat tonight.  It's a bit small even though I had added one repeat of the pattern.  I washed it in the bathroom sink and it's drying overnight -- I'll check it in the morning to see if it manages to 'bloom' while I sleep.
The yarn is a bit rough to knit with but the colors are absolutely fabulous -- it glistens in the sunlight.  I thought at first it was black but it's actually full of other colors like green, purple, gold, and crimson.  I think of it as a manly color but girls could wear it too.  I'm going to cast on another extra 11 stitches, the number in the pattern repeat, and that will give it 88 stitches.  The original pattern called for 66 stitches but didn't give a gauge.  Duh.  The yarn band gauge is 3.5 stitches to the inch so I figured 77 stitches would work  Good thing I bought 3 skeins of the same color last weekend in Perrysburg, OH.  I'll cast on again before I head to bed.

My laundry is caught up and the house is pretty tidy so I get to relax and do as I wish tomorrow.  Looking forward to another beautiful day! 

No comments: