Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back to Nice Wool

Such a relief today to be knitting on soft wool.  After a couple of days of the 'wretched wool' I had nearly forgotten how nice wool could be.

I made the Ear Flap Hat for my coworker's daughter today but I think she wants the braids that can dangle from the ear flap so I'll need to add that tomorrow after I confirm.



This was a very interesting pattern for a number of reasons.  Remember it came from Lucia (see yesterday's post for the link) and it used short rows for the ear flaps and had a headband seam.  It's super warm and I think Ariana will love it.  Here's a close up of the yarn, Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes Bulky.  It used all of one skein and I will have to nab a few yards of a second skein if I need the braided ties.



I also started the second hat, the ponytail hat, with some Araucania Limari multicolor wool from Chile.  I've finished the band and am just about to the point where you make the hole for the ponytail.  Pictures will hopefully be posted tomorrow.  For now, though, here is the yarn.



Both yarns were selected by my coworker to match her daughter's teal winter jacket.  I hope she likes both hats.  You know how particular teenage girls can be.

And finally, I've been driving around my neighborhood for the past few nights and noticing how many folks have decorated their houses for the holidays.  I'll be posting pics of some of the ones I've come across.




They're not necessarily tricked out to the hilt -- I just like what they've done.  Some are simple and some are elaborate.  Either way they dress up the neighborhood and put us all in the proper spirit.

I signed up for 4 bell ringing sessions with the Salvation Army next month.  How about you?  Can you spare a couple of hours to stand outside and ring the bell and make a difference in the lives of people less fortunate than you?  I don't have any money to donate to worthy causes like this one but I do have time and that's what I'm giving.


No comments: