Yesterday I hinted that there'd be lots of pictures coming today. Well, here they are. I got my cardigan seamed together yesterday using the mattress stitch (see the link in yesterday's post). This worked wonderfully. I stood at my washing machine for about 3+ hours since it was the right height for me to work on. Wednesday night I made a mad dash to JoAnn's to buy one of these:
It's a fabulous folding Ott Lite that runs on 3 AAA batteries. It's a must have item -- on sale right now for $9.99! I used it to shine directly on the pieces as I sewed them together.
I started by washing the pieces of the cardigan in the kitchen sink and then partially dried them in the dryer. They were HUGE when I washed them so I was worried but the returned to their original sizes -- thank goodness!
I don't exactly have blocking boards (yet!) but I made do with the June Taylor mat and my ironing board.
Once the pieces were dry I began to stitch them together. Here's the finished shoulder seam:
It's not the sweetest seam ever because the front is in pattern and the back is stockinette. I can live with it.
I used these handy-dandy hair clips (couldn't find my fancy ones that are actually for putting sweaters together) to line up my sleeves with the body:
Here's the finished sleeve to body seam: