Friday, December 18, 2009

Dingy

Tonight was my second bell ringing stint at the Holiday Market.  I did not see anyone I know but it was eventful nonetheless.

First off, 5 minutes into my session my bell broke.  Completely came apart, splat onto the salt covered ground.  A shopper helped me pick up the pieces, plural.  Now what?  I stuck the wooden handle inside the brass bell and proceeded to whack the side of the bell with the striker piece.  I was definitely dinging not ringing the bell.  It worked well for the most part but I found I could not switch out hands and had to hold it pretty closely so now my fingers are stiff and my ears are ringing.  But the end justifies the means as the kettle seemed to have quite a bit of money in it.

Secondly, a car was behind me in the parking lot, loading up, when another car backed right into it.  I'm going to guess the elderly driver of the car backing up had to be deaf because she never stopped, even when the snarky driver of the Mustang was blaring her horn.  After a few words were exchanged both vehicles were on their way, although the elderly woman proceeded extremely s-l-o-w-l-y, while the Mustang went roaring off.

Today was not a fun day at work.  Several co-workers worked their final day before leaving the company for good.  I've known one gal for 30 years -- I met Kathy when I was pregnant and working as a temporary employee for MetLife.  Another guy, Cliff, had been there for 17 years and has 5 children plus 4 foster children.  Some people were fine with leaving, heading back to college to finish degrees or take jobs in preferred fields.  For the most part, however, it was not the employees' choice to be out of a job.  More of this to come next month.  Yippee.

I'm heading out now to drop off my kettle at the Salvation Army and hand over the bell parts for them to fiddle with.  I have a Christmas party to go to at friend Diane's house, where I'll get to meet her grandbaby Tristan, the one I made the hooded cardigan for back in October.  Food and beverages will be bountiful, no doubt, but I'm going to try to behave myself!

No comments: