Monday, March 2, 2009

Time Well Spent

Shouldn't we always make good use of our time?  Tonight, after working out, I made my way over to AJ's Cafe in Ferndale to knit with my knitting group.  I arrived far ahead of the others so I ordered a sandwich and hot cocoa and picked out a table near the window.  As I waited for my friends to arrive a different kind of group began to assemble.  First one, then another.  Several mentally and physically disabled young people ambled in, anxious to perform in what turned out to be their 'Talent Show'.  Check that, they were cognitively and physically impaired, as my daughter the special ed teacher would say.

This was not the usual quiet Monday night, no sirree.  First we heard 'Rascal Flatts' singing a tune, then there was 'Michael Jackson' dancing to Billie Jean, then a new take on 'Mama Mia'.  The hits just kept on coming.  The crowd clapped, not always in rhythm, and cheered wildly for each 'act'.  I thought to myself, what joy they have in their lives.  They all loved performing and felt so much love from the audience.

I doubt I would garner such applause performing the same numbers.  Maybe some hoots and hollers, and undoubtedly a lot of laughs.  Especially trying to do the Michael Jackson Moonwalk -- I never did master that move.

I did get a bit of knitting done on the cloche that I cast on last night.  Maybe I didn't get as much knitted as I would have liked but my enjoyment came from watching the special acts at the cafe.  Not a bad use of time in my book.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

You are FAR kinder than I. . .