Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chicken Retreat Part Two

One of the great things about getting away with the girls is the wonderful food that we have. Each of us has an assigned meal to shop, prepare and clean up for and we never go away hungry. The coffee flows and we work individually on the project of our choice.
I finished piecing my backing for Carla's Asian quilt with an interesting twist. I borrowed Deb's Featherweight, a machine I hadn't sewn on in about 35 years when I last used my Mom's, and pressed the fabric using Jackie's fabulously modern Rowenta steam iron. This iron is outstanding -- it puts the steam right where you need it, ON your fabric instead of burning your fingers as you hold open seams. When I need a new iron to replace my Maytag I'll definitely consider the Rowenta. I need to get the Featherweight my Mom gave me out from under a table, dust it off, and see if it runs. Add that to my To-Do list.
I also worked on my Hoodie Tunic, still need to take some pics of that and load the project to my Ravelry projects page. I really like how it's turning out so far.
Carol made her first hat, a chemo cap, and it turned out wonderfully, sorry no pic, but here's a funny picture of the leftover balls of yarn that turned into amazing little flowers:


Sue worked on her February Lady sweater, made from luscious Malabrigo wool:

She also spun some of the roving she had purchased at last month's Spinners Flock sale. Again, sorry no pic of that.

Diane worked with Jackie on her Gammill long-arm machine to get a raffle quilt for Gilda's Club machine quilted.


Here are some pics of the block and bit of the quilting:


And here is the finished quilt (sans binding) as it hung from the loft railing:


It was good to see Kathy feeling so well and finally getting her quilting mojo back. We helped her pick out fabrics from her sizable stash to make blocks that are based on a vintage block, received from one of our guild members who died from breast cancer a couple of years ago.


When Carol wasn't knitting she was busy piecing quilts. Here's a super cute one that was made even better with the addition of Jackie's rick-rack in between the blocks and the border:


Now even though I didn't manage to snap pictures of them, Joyce, Mary, Deb, Pat, and Jackie were all busy with their projects as well. There was even time for Sudoku challenges, exercising to Slim in 6, two mile walks, and Arbonne facials. Note to self -- make sure to get every one's pic!! I'm such a nut.

That's it for now. More tomorrow on the return trip home. Again, never a non-stop ride.

No comments: