Sunday, July 12, 2009

Busy Sunday

I'm sitting here at the computer scratching a few new mosquito bites I acquired while watering my lawn tonight. It rained a bit yesterday but you'd never know it to look at the lawn and flowers.

After the rain let up yesterday I drove out to Brighton for my rug hooking meeting. I hadn't been in so long everyone treated me like their long lost sister. It was great to see everyone and catch up on their projects. I took a few shots of one gal's workshop project -- learning to add a braided border ~~

Here's a close up of her work ~~


And since I'm nearing the end of Holly & Mike's wedding rug I took advantage of Kris by observing her working on the finishing touches of one of her rugs ~~


Doesn't the edge look great when it's done??


I discovered that I wasn't completely wrong about the grass color on my rug. I had decided to pull out a bit of the darker green strips and replace them sporadically with a lighter green here and there. I also added 'M + H 6.27.09' in the center of the grass section. I can't wait to finish it now!

Today was the baby shower for Erin, Joyce's daughter and Carol's daughter-in-law. It was a lovely day and the party was delightful. Erin's baby received many nice gifts.


An adorable rug from Kathy ~~


These super cute slippers knit by her sister Colleen ~~


Quilt from grandma-to-be Carol ~~

Close up of the prairie point border ~~


Another quilt from mom Joyce ~~


And still one more quilt from Lee ~~


Here's a close up of the backing -- so darn cute ~~


And here's my blanket and hat ~~


I really enjoyed knitting both items. I will definitely make them again. The blanket is made from Berroco Comfort and the hat is Jil Eaton Minnow washable merino wool. I like both yarns but especially enjoyed working with the Minnow yarn. I made several changes to the hat pattern and I think it turned out better. The ear flaps were picked up instead of knit separately and then sewn on, and the straps were knit as I cord instead of garter stitch.

Now I know it's crazy to get excited about a gift bag but I absolutely loved this one ~~

It screamed out to me -- 'make a quilt from this design'! Or maybe a rug????

Before Kevin mowed the lawn today we had some crazy mushrooms that had sprouted up from the rain ~~





They always seem to spring up from nowhere -- just exactly where do they come from? Where are the gnomes??? Maybe they come out at night and disappear when the sun rises?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are weird looking toadstool/mushroom looking things.
I am a rughooker and would love to know how to do the braid border. Is it difficult?
Great post and great pictures.

katie-primitivewoolens.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

Thanks Katie! I'm not really sure how hard the braided border is. I know she had taken a workshop where that was the topic. I believe she braided the three different wools, then sewed them down on the backing (a yucky burlap -- bleh!). She didn't realize that her rug was supposed to be completed before the workshop so she did it out of order by sewing the braid down first. Very cool outcome.

SusanQuilter said...

I love the baby blanket and hat!