Monday, May 23, 2011

Wicked Weather

Joplin, Missouri was hit by a powerful tornado last night.  The carnage is unbelievable.  Video and audio reports tell a terrifying story.  One audio report from the beer cooler at a convenience store where people sought refuge was particularly remarkable.  First they thought the storm had passed.  'We're good, we're good' one voice said and then the real storm hit.  Next you heard people saying 'I love you, I love you all' and one woman saying over and over again 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus'.  Once the storm had passed they checked each other out and emerged from their safe haven.

Today at work a wicked storm struck about 12:30 pm.  The winds were blowing so hard it was raining sideways.  If I had really felt threatened I would have headed for the hallway near the bathrooms but thankfully our storm just passed without any real damage.

The death toll in Joplin has surpassed the previous worst death count from a single tornado.  Interestingly enough that storm took place about 50 miles north of where I live and basically wiped a town off of the map.  I hope the people of Joplin get the aid they need to rebuild and recover.

No comments: