Sunday, March 28, 2010

A wet, rainy day greeted me this morning.  Chilly and wet.  Probably my least favorite type of weather.  I thought about staying home but decided to head over to Right off the Sheep to knit with the ladies.  I've only got about 8 rows to go on my Sneaky Sheep Swap project -- woohoo!  I'll be done in plenty of time for next month's meeting.

I decided to go to get carry out from a restaurant in Royal Oak that offers Eastern European food on the weekends.  The menu is full of items, some things I've heard of and others I have not.  I ordered a mix of things to get a good feel for their food.  I've had the pizza twice so far from Ernie's Pizza Cafe and it's been fabulous both times.

Tonight I had Nalichniki, Potato Zrazy, Potato Pirogues, and a Chicken Cutlet a la Fireman.  All of it was delicious but I'd have to say the Potato Zrazy was my favorite.  It's a mashed potato dough stuffed with ground beef (not a hamburger but more like roast beef ground up).  It's a dish that originated in Ukraine.  I'm not sure where the family that runs the restaurant is from -- somewhere over there to be sure, judging by their accents and speaking a foreign language.  I'll ask next time.

For dessert I ordered Keta -- a sweet pizza that is a traditional dessert in Armenia.  It was terrific.  I might get it for my stitch group when they come to my house.

I'm really trying to support small businesses like this restaurant.  They truly rely on locals to survive.  If you live in the area, give them a try.  If you're not from around here, I hope you're doing your part to support your local small businesses.

Jumping off my soapbox now and getting ready for bed.  I'll be taking the bus to and from work for a while so I've got to be out the door at 6:15 AM -- that comes around pretty early, especially on Mondays......

1 comment:

SusanQuilter said...

The food sounds like great fun; I will have to keep them in mind to try! That was a good use of a rainy day, but you must have missed the basketball game! Too stressful, but exciting finish...