Friday, January 29, 2010

Mom is on the mend

My Mom was hospitalized yesterday with what turned out to be a Duodenal Ulcer.  The gastro doctor called it 'giant' which I found to mean 2-3 cm when I asked him today.  She required two blood transfusions to get her hemoglobin up from 6.8 yesterday to 10.3 this morning.  Apparently there are were at least two medications she was taking that probably led to the ulcer -- Feldene and Plavix.  Won't be taking those again.  Her blood pressure was all out of whack -- mostly because there WAS no blood to pump.  Ugh.  Her blood pressure readings were about 160/45 when I got there yesterday.  No wonder she was complaining about feeling chills when I saw her Wednesday night.

I took today off from work to be at the hospital with Mom and I'm glad I did -- I was able to talk to the gastro doctor and bring up another problem she's been having -- choking on food.  Not a habit you want to develop.  She'll be having a modified Barium swallow study tomorrow to see what's causing that.  There are lots of other GI related problems that we'll be sorting through in the days and weeks to come.  She's all worried she'll have to cancel her trip in two weeks to Florida.

I took my knitting with me today, along with the readers I forgot yesterday, and finished the Ribby Tocque 
 
  
I don't think my arms are long enough to take good pictures of the top of my head!

I also knit to the point on my Peace Sweater back where the armhole shaping begins. 

 I'll do that shaping tomorrow while I'm visiting Mom at the hospital, as long as I can concentrate.......

4 comments:

SusanQuilter said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom, and wish her a speedy recovery. If I had a trip planned to Florida in February, I'd be worried about it being cancelled too!! Can't blame her for that!

harriet said...

Hope everything works out for you and your mom. Always hard to be in the hospital - or to have to visit daily. Best wishes to you both.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom, Suzanne...

Suzanne said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Mom is ready to go home -- just needs the doctor to ok it!