Monday, January 11, 2010

Carrying too much weight?

Not getting enough exercise?  I found a site today courtesy of someone on Ravelry that might just help us all.  I clearly have a lot of weight to lose.  I lost about 27 pounds last year but found a lot of it after my Dad died.     :`(

I explored SparkPeople.com tonight and signed up right away.  The site is free and offers a way for you to track the calories you take in each day and the calories you burn through exercise as well.  I didn't exercise today but I did eat.  There is a little bit of work involved in setting yourself up but nothing more than the usual demographic stuff and then itemizing everything you eat and drink each day.  As long as the food item is in their database you don't have to calculate any of the nutritional particulars.  It sure is great to see the results of what you ate for the day staring back at you.  Ok, so maybe it's not great but it is definitely 'in your face'.

They give you a defined target date for you to make your desired weight and it's not next week or next month.  It's a slow, steady weight loss that should reduce the failure rate.  Isn't that what we're all looking for?  There are support groups available for all sorts of things like people who have GERD, like me, and lots of other topics.  You can do as much or as little as you like on this site.  I hope to stick with it.

I made the tassels for my mint green charity hat that needs to be turned in tomorrow at the knitting guild meeting. 

And remember yesterday I said I thought I needed to wash the tweed hat?  Well, it worked -- softer and nicer finish.



It will be nice to turn in my items on time.  I always have the best intentions but don't always have the time to complete things on schedule.

Now I can get back to knitting the Thai Vest.  I picked up the Addi Turbos tonight, although they are bamboo instead of nickel.  Oh well.  I'm already loving the way the yarn slides along the tiny cord.  Yippee.  It really doesn't take that much to make me happy.....

1 comment:

Tanya said...

You can combine Sparks and Facebook. . .haven't done it myself, but I don't spend much time on either site. . .