Thursday, March 7, 2013

Doh!!

Today I was in the market to buy more of Mary Ellen's Best Press for ironing my fabric.  I used half a bottle last night on my fabrics for the Kim Diehl workshops.  After forgetting to look for it the FIRST time I went to Joann's today, I doubled-back and you know what???  They didn't carry it in the store but had it online.  Hmmpph!

So what do you think I did next????  I looked for it online!  I discovered something MUCH better than a source for Best Press -- I discovered a RECIPE for it!  Here it is:

3 oz. Vodka (I chose a potato based one thinking it might be more starchy, not sure there)
24 oz. Distilled Water
Several drops of essential oils (I choose to use some scented pressing water I got at Costco years ago)
Mix all three ingredients together and pour into a spray bottle.  Shake each time before spraying to mix it all up.

Let's think about the cost here -- cheap bottle of Vodka ($15), gallon bottle of distilled water ($1.35), fragrance (nil).  That comes out to $1.77 in vodka, 25¢ in distilled water, and negligible fragrance for a grand total of $2.02 for 27 ounces of imitation Best Press.  Hmmm, I paid $7.95 the other day for a 16 ounce bottle.  Momma didn't raise no dummy.

Now I know what you're thinking -- but does it really work???  I pressed one large piece of wrinkled cotton fabric and it turned out great, maybe not quite as stiff as the 'real' Best Press, but great nonetheless.  Next I pressed a fat quarter of fabric with half 'real' and half 'recipe' Best Press.  Again, maybe the 'real' side was a bit stiffer but actually I think I might like the results on the 'recipe' version better.

If you give it a try let me know what you think.  Maybe I need a bit more vodka in it.  I know the brand I bought will never be going down my hatch!

No comments: