Monday, July 2, 2012

Sew and Sew

The last several days I've been dealing with oppressive heat, a water main break, and a lot of shopping, yet I managed to finish a quilt top tonight. Woohoo!

Here's a closer shot of the block pattern:

I'm auditioning border fabrics.  Do you like the pink or green fabric better???

One my biggest gripes about sewing is running out of bobbin thread.  In the first picture I went on for miles and miles before realizing I was out.  Ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration.  

In this shot I was about 1 1/2" away from the finish line.  Arghh!

Back on Saturday I headed out to a couple of quilt shops.  Material Girls in Dearborn was brand new to me.    Barb stocks lots of Asian fabric, and I mean made in Japan, not just Asian prints, and also a lot of Aboriginal fabrics from Australia.  I also stopped by Bits N Pieces in Wayne.  There Julie helped me pick out several must have Moda solid fabrics plus thread that was new to me but has been out for a while.  I'm looking forward to trying out these spools of Presencia 60 weight, 3 ply cotton thread.  Seems Harriet Hargrave has been touting its virtues for a while now -- what did I know?!  Plus you can get it for $2 less/spool than I paid.  Arghh!
I'm hoping that the thread will melt into the fabric, unlike the mystery cotton thread I used in my latest project.  

I bought fabric for two more quilts over the weekend so I better get going and sew some more!  Both projects are totally different from what I'm usually attracted to, so they should both be fun to create.

2 comments:

SusanQuilter said...

VERY nice work--love the pattern!

Suzanne said...

Thank you -- but which border fabric do you prefer???