Sunday, February 6, 2011

Busy Weekend

Friday I had dinner at the Traffic Jam restaurant in Detroit with my friend Eddie.  My mac & cheese was delicious especially since I washed it down with not one but TWO Chai One On martinis.  Mmm, mmm, good. We saw the play "Of Mice and Men" at the Hilberry Theatre.  Well done, but definitely a downer play.  It was really great to see Eddie and get caught up.  Next up a sit 'n knit afternoon, hopefully soon.

Yesterday I picked up my friend Sue and we headed out to Knit Michigan, held at the Sacred Heart Academy in Bloomfield Hills.  This event is a fundraiser for several cancer charities in our area and we'd never been able to attend it because it always fell on our quilt guild's Mystery Quilt Day.  Not so this year.  We immediately hit the vendors for some retail therapy.  

There were knitting and crocheting contests, run by BSKG friends Tanya and her able assistant Harriet:

We enjoyed a quick bite of lunch, browsed the silent action items and bid on a few.  I managed to be the sole bidder on a Kim Diehl quilt book (yeehaw!) and Sue won a few things too.  It was a great outing for yarnies!

Unfortunately, while we were enjoying ourselves and forgetting our cares, Mother Nature was dumping more snow on us.  A storm moved quickly into our area and dumped about 4-5 inches of unexpected white fluffiness.  Snow.  I can honestly say I've seen enough this winter.

I cleared the car off but didn't get the snow off of the roof.  Big mistake.  Big.  After dropping Sue and her parcels off I was driving toward my house when a huge chunk of snow rolled off the roof and onto the windshield, completely obstructing my view.  My reaction, as you would expect, was to turn on the windshield wipers.  While I didn't have many options in the middle of the road, this proved to be a bad one.  The wipers could not clear the snow and stopped working.  I gingerly pulled over onto a side street and cleared the windshield with my trusty snow brush.  Damn.  This is the second time this has happened with this car since I got it in November.  I only had about a mile and a half to get home but it felt like 100 miles.  

As long as I was home I was going to be productive so I got out this crazy yarn I had bought earlier at the show:

It's a thick and thin wool from Pagewood Farm that has roving 'flowers' attached to it.  I'd seen it knit up and knew I had to have it.  Sue helped me wind it into a ball at Knit Michigan and with these simple tools:
I quickly knit up a cowl:
I used size 17 circular needles and when I got to a flower I purled that stitch so the flower would stay to the outside.  I think it took me about an hour to knit -- very fast knitting!  Here's a close up of the stitches and flowers: 

We had more snow today so I cancelled my dinner with my Mom and just stayed inside.  Tomorrow morning I'll be heading over to Belle Tire again to have the wipers repaired, after I clear off all of the new snow that fell today.


eddie said...

I enjoyed our night out on Friday! Thanks for joining me.

SusanQuilter said...

The cowl turned out so cute!!! In one evening, I also made a cowl with my crazy yarn with the fur 'pearls'. Sorry about the doesn't seem too much to ask wipers to work!

harriet said...

That cowl is beautiful! Will you wear it, or sell it?

Suzanne said...

It's mine, all mine!