Saturday, April 21, 2012

Re-Energized

I may not be able to knit much right now but I CAN sew!!  I've found my sewing mojo again with the help of the Featherweight my Mom relinquished to me about 10 years ago.  The poor thing sat in its box under a table, against the wall, gathering dust until I rescued it last Sunday.  New life has been breathed into both it and me and I find myself WANTING to sew.  Who knew?


My new 1/4" foot, purchased in Cinci:

Those jelly rolls are convenient but the pinked edges make it tough to maintain a true 1/4" seam.

These strips are for my niece's wedding quilt.  Shhhhh -- don't tell her!

And here's my first attempt at machine quilting on the Featherweight using another foot purchased in Cinci:


Far from perfect but I have to say, I'm pretty darned pleased with myself and the machine.  I never knew you could machine quilt on a Featherweight.  I always thought it was only good for straight stitching.  It does do a great job at straight stitching but now I'm finding it does sew so much more!

Minimum swearing and less than 2 hours later, it was all quilted -- phew!  Now I need to sew the satin blanket binding on it.  Guess I know what I'll be doing on Sunday.

4 comments:

Heather Woollove said...

I love the fabrics you've chosen, Suzanne! It's going to be beautiful when you're done!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love my featherweight! What a workhorse it is! I'm so glad you rescued her! Who knew it's power!
~Joyce

SusanQuilter said...

I think you owe your friends some credit for that inspiration, after that poor machine languished for so long, covered in dust!

Suzanne said...

I've been watching people use their Featherweights for years! Now I get it!!