Monday, July 7, 2014

New and Improved...At Last!

When I get sewing on a project I seldom take care of the fabric scraps once I'm done.  I'd love to say I'm turning over a new leaf, but......

I did, however, spend the bulk of this past Holiday weekend cleaning up my Craft Cave.  You can see the before pictures in my last post.  I still have a big pile of scraps to 'deal with' by either pressing them and cutting them into strips or squares for a future scrap quilt project, a la Bonnie Hunter, or they will meet their demise in the circular file.  I'm trying to be ruthless.  I have a few bags of garbage and a bag of various items for the Salvation Army folks.

Without further adieu, here are the post-apocalyptic photos:


I have a small space to work with so I don't have any problem maximizing it by using vertical space as you can see with the colorful project boxes on top of the Expedit cubicle.  I can't tell you how many trips I made up and down my step ladder, ridding myself of the foam pieces that were in the corner (meant for needle felting but they really didn't work out), evaluating the ancient projects in the plastic boxes, and reorganizing them alphabetically.  Previously they were mixed by color.  I know, if I was truly anal I'd rearrange the contents in the proper color box but that's a project for another day.  Maybe.  OK, probably.

Below you can actually see the floor register below the white table -- that means the cool air in summer and warm air in winter will actually impact the temperature of the room -- what a concept!  Now that I can find the serger, I can get cranking on a few quick sewing projects.  Next to it are two containers of thread (including a Stanley tool box) and a three-drawer bin of various and assorted floss/Perle Cotton.

Here's my serger thread/AccuQuilt Go table:
The closet behind the table contains all sorts of wonderful wool, much of it hand-dyed -- scrumptious!

I put this pantry organizer on the back of my door to hold various and sundry items.  I struggle to remember that I put things there since the door is usually open -- where did I put that rotary cutter, webbing, etc??

On the side of the Expedit I hung some 3M Command hooks to hold some of my various rulers:

I wish all of my rulers had a hole to hang them by.

I love when my room is orderly.  It makes it so much easier to be creative.  I don't have to scrounge for tools or fabric.  My next 'spare time' project will be to fold the fabric in the cubes using the magazine backer boards.  In the mean time, I've got a few pressing quilting projects to tackle -- chop, chop!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that hexie project on the flannel--wish you'd been able to finish it for the guild challenge! Hopefully, before too much longer, half of what is in that room can go into a 2nd room (hint, hint, roommate!)!!

Anonymous said...

~ nice space! & keep the roommate!..ewe would miss Kev! ;-D