Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Extras

When you go shopping do you only buy what you intended to buy or do extras end up in your cart?  I'm forever finding interesting must-have items I didn't originally have on my shopping list.

I found this terrific basil plant at Hollywood Market last Sunday when I was picking up some horseradish and sour cream for the roast beef I was making that day.  Did I need basil?  No, but I didn't let that stop me!   This interesting way of bringing fresh herbs to your kitchen is from HerbCo International.  Check out their website.
 The bag contains a rooted live plant.  I just had to remove it from the package and place it in a glass with 1" of water, keeping the water up as grows.  I love the smell of fresh basil and this is such an easy way to have it ready for cooking.  I hate when I have to buy a whole package of an herb when I only need a couple of tablespoons -- don't you?? 


Then yesterday I needed to buy some translucent vellum paper for my Self-Mitered Log Cabin workshop on Saturday with Anita Grossman Solomon.  I headed over to Utrecht Art Supplies in Royal Oak and a nice employee named Nadine guided me to the proper product.  I don't remember ever buying vellum before and I certainly had never been in their store.  Of course I wandered around, perusing their vast array of items and then I spotted another must-have item:

I thought it would be perfect for my sewing table.  I need as much light as possible when I cut and sew.

Off....

 On....
See how well it illuminates the big fat mess on my table!














Now it's time to finally clean the Craft Cave and prepare for Anita's workshops.  There's still space in the Saturday workshop so be sure to let me know if you would like to join us -- it will be loads of fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great lamp! And the way it comes from overhead is great, as we need all that room to work!

Anonymous said...

~ we practically live at Utrecht's now with a Graphic Design student!..If ewe need more vellum paper we have plenty :-)..neat lamp! ;-D